February 7, 2010

Reflections on Super Bowl Sunday

Over the course of the last 26 years, I was unconsciously thrust into the life long anguish known to many as being a Cleveland fan. I did not want to become a Cleveland fan, or ask to become a Cleveland fan. Yet I have no doubt that being a Cleveland fan has had a profound impact in my life away from game day. Mind you, I have not dealt with so many problems that people have suffered through in life. But what I have suffered through is a drought of sports success; constant failure made worse only by the times we have been so close.

Every day I wake up and appreciate what I have in my life. Despite the feeling that something is missing, I walk out into the world full of hope. I hope for a better world, happiness for me, my friends and family, and a championship. Today, on Super Bowl Sunday, I would like to pause for a moment and renew my sense of hope. It is after all, our sense of hope that has sustained us as a people for the last half century. As I venture to the Super Bowl party where 2 teams I don't care at all about battle it out for a week and a half of glory on ESPN, an admittedly pretty cool Sports Illustrated Commemorative Special, and a year of bragging rights, I think "wouldn't it be great if the Cleveland Browns were playing today?" To be honest, I'm not sure how I would feel. I would be nervous, excited, cautious but a part of me would have died along the way. The hope, the constant yearning, the depression and the self-deprivating humor would all be snuffed out like a candle.

So heres to another year! Another year of hope and smart-ass comments (that only we can make). Lets make this season the best yet, so that in one year from today we may bid our sadness farewell and bask in the satisfaction and glory of winning the Super Bowl.

1 comment:

  1. Well put, Eric. I tried to imagine what it would be like if the Browns were playing today in South Florida:
    #1, I would have to be there. I think you've said in the past that you would rather be in Cleveland for the celebration after the game if we won. But there's always parades for that. I think I would HAVE TO be there. I'm afraid to think what those tickets will cost but it will be worth every penny.
    #2, I'm pretty sure I will be so anxious and nervous that I won't be able to enjoy the game. But at least I could say I was there!

    ReplyDelete