February 12, 2010

Quarterback Speculation

So the more I think about the quarterback situation in Cleveland, the less I like what I think. DA is as good as gone. (Good, get outta here, scram, who needs you, beat it! I'm sorry baby, I didn't mean that... Sometimes I just get so scared, scared of being a nobody.) Looking ahead, I do not feel comfortable with only Brady Quinn and Bret Ratliff on the roster.

I also do not feel comfortable with drafing a rooking QB, especially outside of the first round and if we draft a QB at 7, that will send me into, well, crazy.

So looking at possible solutions that may be available via Free Agency or trade here are my initial thoughts.

Chad Pennington - I actually would really like to see Chad in Cleveland. He has had success in NY and Miami and is apparently pretty familiar with starting for a little bit til someone else gets his shot. At this point in his career I do not see him being an expensive singing and even if he is, who cares, its about to be an uncapped year. He would be an instant upgrade and would offer some veteran leadership and stability to the offense.

Donovan F. McNabb - Great QB and would be a great addition to the Browns. Well acquainted with Heckert, McNabb would surely be a huge upgrade at the most important position. However, I'm not sold on bringing him in for the high cost it would take to get him. Charlie and I talked about giving up the 2nd rounder for him, but I'd rather see us draft a player that can play for 6-7 years and not a great QB on the downside of his career. Obviously its a different story all together now (its a different story) if we were in contention and just needed a QB (See Minnesota).

Kevin Kolb - McNabb's repalcement in Philly could also likley be had for the right price. If Holmgren and Heckert decide he is what is advertised in Philly, I'll buy it, but until then, I think I'm out on this trade. Again it would take valuable draft picks that I think we desperately need to take a QB that has not done a whole lot on the field in Philly.

Matt Hasselbeck - Not a chance in hell I give up anything for the former pro-bowl QB, but if he gets cut, I'd give him a smell. (You can smell me, without the Hennigans!) An obvious upgrade with ties to Holmgren. The big guy thought enough of him to acquire him from the Packers.

Michael Vick- My guess is Vick wants nothing to do with a stadium full of barking drunks and the home of the Dawg Pound. As a player, I like Vick but don't see him helping the team at QB like he once could.

Jason Campbell - If he were to get cut in Washington, which I am not assuming will happen, I would bring him in in a heart beat. A young QB with a good arm who might be a good QB under the right system and a guy like Holmgren.

Jeff Garcia - Hahahahaha, I hate him, so no. Only thought about him that are positive are TO's famous "looks like a rat" statement.

So it will be interesting to see what transpires in Berea over the next month or so as we look to fix the underperforming QB situation in Cleveland. Finally I feel like there is some hope, and as Morgan Freeman says in Shawshank Redemption, "Hope is a great thing, maybe the best of things."

So heres to hoping!

Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment